Nero, the emperor who allegedly set Rome on fire...lots of ...Rome's Trash Fires!?...Yeah, this title is garbage...
I'm exploring yet another rotating ID (check the others in my published lists for more!), and this one was a struggle. It's hard building a deck with an ID ability that, if we're lucky, fires once or twice a game and, instead of helping us win, at most saves us from losing the game. I tried building on with Sunny's tech, then making just a good-stuff crim...but they weren't that exciting/effective.
Then I decided to just embrace the ID, and wow this has been a fun deck to play with! Here's the thought:
- The only card we can really capitalize on with our ability is Reflection, which gives us knowledge of HQ when jacking out. I really wanted to make this console work, for the deck to be truly Nero-flavored.
- With 2+ , Citadel Sanctuary is mandatory. Our console is not installed yet? Sports Hopper gets us the link, and we can pop it for card draw when we do find Reflection.
- If we're jacking out for value, why stop at our ID? Flip Switch allows us to facecheck into anything with impunity, and we get more value from Reflection (which is a "Whenever" ability). Switch also doubles as tag removal, so let's throw in Hot Pursuit for big money on those HQ runs we're taking anyways to pick up the agendas we scoop. And we want to make sure we hit them on our runs, which Docklands Pass and The Turning Wheel help us achieve.
- Now, why not lean into the information theme some more? Another fun rotating card is Spy Camera: now we know the top of R&D and run it only when we want to pick up an agenda. And when we do, why not get as much value as we possibly can( pun intended, see next point)?
- With all these trashable hardware, it would be a sin not to have another rotating jem, Tech Trader. Let's throw in a Fermenter for crazy money, Simulchip to recover lost breakers (which we run 1x), and Light the Fire! to deal with glacier and above all Skunkvoid. Abagnale might not be as good as out-of-faction decoders, but look at that shiny ! Plus we can recur it at will while making even more money. Valuetown!
I was building this deck while Andrej at the Mètropole Grid was tuning the Az list with which he ended up winning a Montreal store champ (congrats Andrej!!!). So his influence is pretty evident...Also, additional credit to Sanjay and Ed, and their Eggsploratory romps, which prompted the initial idea!
Q: Is it a top-tier deck? A: Absolutely not.
Q: Wouldn't it be better to play Az? A: Probably!
Q: Will I swap ID? A: Heck no! The whole bloody point of playing this deck is trying out my man Nero, so please put your complaints in the feedback box --> .
No, I'm kidding. Please comment along! :)