Santa probably not bringing me present because of this...
I am not proud of this, I am even a bit ashamed because it is neither very smart deckbuilding nor does it display very interesting play patterns, but I feel like this is a relevant meta call in this new startup meta.
I know, I know, people on jnet do not like to play against PE and most of the time they do not respect snare. It is partially true and some games were won this way but this deck is not about the opponent making a mistake it is about grinding his deck with unavoidable damage till he cannot steal anything. It is about fun denying.
I think in this format the grinding archetype is indeed very strong for several reasons :
- No more pesky Stargate ducking under Snares (hell even Kyushuk is gone)
- Nightmare Archive fits the idea of grinding and antifun overall but also support econ card like Hansei review
- Runners tend to hurt themselves these days
- Multi access like Wake or Finality are very dangerous versus Snare, PE and Nightmare Archives so we do have a bit of wincon denying
It is true, we lost Sting wich was our savior in previous meta but they lost so so much more.
This deck is not the most fun the game has to offer...
I mean, I felt bad as well while playing it but I wanted to see if it was really solid and now I feel confident enough to say that this kind of deck will be a nuisance in the format. This is most certainly not the best version, I barely tweaked it during these 17 games but the only game I lost was against a very competent player and I felt flooded with 2 pointers for the whole game with no Nightmare Archives in sight, variance. Some other games were close.
Here are a couple play patterns and ideas :
- Install Bladderwort and Hokusai on the same server, even on turn 1
- Never go below 4c while the runner still has clicks as you need to fire that snare above all
- Install a naked moonpool on the board while you have more snares than agenda in hand for tax and bait. If they ignore it you have more lines to play in the future
- Hansei Review is easily playable with nightmare archives and can also net you some next turn Hybrid release value.
- Use Anemone and Hokusai early and deliberately, then Spin them back in the deck
- Sabotage usually helps you, do not hesitate to trash from hand as it will concentrate the snare in HQ and slow the game, both serves you.
- Do not overthink Bladderwort, consider it like a Pad campaign with a situational effect you usually do not care about.
- Create a simple remote with a Vampyronassa or an Anemone and an Hokusai to jam agenda, it is fine for the runner to score a couple agenda if there is a good tax to it
- Usually keep snares in HQ or RD, installing it is often a bad idea but can happen
- Sometimes using Moon pool just to get rid of Agenda in HQ or Archives is fine even if you do not use the advancement especially to protect a couple 2 pointers
- Maybe add a Nanisivik Grid? I did not try it but it might help we have a lot of 2-3 damage subroutines.
- Maybe get rid of one of the Offworld office for a couple Regenesis but honestly slots are a bit tight
- Maybe add a Reaper Function or two but again slots are limited
Please do not play this deck or even better : prove me it is bad and I’ve been delusional the whole time.
But i dont know... Startup runners seems so fragile these days.